It’s a MAD, MAD, MAD, MADison World on Love in America this episode, starting in Madison, South Dakota, where it’s not safe to steal a seat! We’re going to lay it all on the line with The Wichita Lineman of love in Madison, Wisconsin – On the Road with Jeff and Mary Sue. Then, what do naughty jokes, seafood ice cream, and burning down the White House have in common? The love story of James and Dolley Madison! Lastly, in our new segment, Friends and Lovers, narratives from storytellers across the United States, we have Dear Madison, a letter about being loved in a world of mean girls.
All this and more on this episode of Love in America.
(Like the podcast? For as little as $1 a month you can Become a Patron of Love in America and help keep the lovin’ comin’! https://www.patreon.com/lovinamerica)
- Song Lovity Love by Something Underground;
- Madison, South Dakota
- From the city website for Madison, South Dakota: History of Madison (http://www.madisonsd.com/about/history.aspx);
- From Wikipedia: Madison, South Dakota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison,_South_Dakota);
- James and Dolley Madison:
- From BuzzFeedNews.com, The Descendants Of James Madison’s Slaves Are Digging Up His Plantation (https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/danvergano/slavery-and-james-madison);
- From Wikipedia, Dolley Madison (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolley_Madison);
- From SmithsonianMag.com, The Surprising Raucous Home Life of the Madisons (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/surprising-raucous-home-life-madisons-180954205/);
- From SparkNotes.com, James Madison Summary (http://www.sparknotes.com/biography/madison/section6/);
- From FeatherFoster.Wordpress.com, Presidential Blog, James Madison’s Romantic Lesson (https://featherfoster.wordpress.com/2016/11/14/james-madisons-romantic-lesson/);
- From History.com, 10 Things You May Not Know About James Madison (https://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-james-madison);
- From Amazon.com, The Madisons: America’s First Power Couple (The True Story of James & Dolley Madison), by Alexander Kennedy (https://amzn.to/2FejtLm)
- Friends and Lovers Narrative:
- From the blog Avoiding My Brilliant Writing Career, Dear Madison: The bad news is that girls are mean (https://avoidingkim.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/dear-madison-the-bad-news-is-that-girls-are-mean-love-aunt-kimmy/), with permission from Kim Tempel
- Love in America website: https://www.LoveInAmerica.us;
- Love in America YouTube Channel: https://tinyurl.com/YouTube-LoveInAmerica
Keep a lookout for our upcoming book, Tales from the Heart of America!